Popular Bar Terminology To Known.
We listed below the most popular terminology used in the bartending
industry. Becoming familiar with the terminology will help you feel more
like a professional bartender.
30 Popular Bar Terminologies:
1. Box - Pouring a drink in and out of a shaker, to quickly mix without
2. Call Drink - Is a drink defined by the brand of liquor used.
(ie. Bacardi and Coke)
3. Chaser - A mixer that is drank right after a shot of liquor to create a
4. Cocktail - An alcoholic beverage consisting of whiskey, brandy, vodka, or gin and combined
with fruit juices or other liquors.
5. Crusta - A sour-type drink served in a glass that is lined with a continuous strip of orange
or lemon peel.
6. Daisy - A sour type drink usually made with rum or gin. It is served in an over sized glass
with crushed ice and sweetened with a fruit syrup.
7. Lace - Normally the last ingredient, meaning to pour onto the top of the drink.
8. Fix - A sour-type drink, made with crushed ice in a large goblet.
9. Flip - A creamy chilled drink made of eggs, sugar, and a wine or spirit. Brandy and sherry
flips are two of the better known kinds.
10. Frappé - A partially frozen drink, usually mixture and served over a mound of crushed ice.
11. Grog - A rum-based drink, mixed with water, sugar, fruit juice and served in a large mug.
12. Highball - Any spirit served with ice and soda water, usually in a highball glass.
13. Julep - An alcoholic drink made of bourbon, mint, sugar and crushed ice.
14. Lowball - A short drink serviced in a small glass made of spirits served with ice, water or
15. Mulls - Heated liquor, wine or beer, sweetened and spiced.
16. Negus - A drink mix combination containing a wine and heated with spices and
17. Nip - A quarter of a bottle.
18. On The Rocks - A drink poured over ice cubes.
19. Posset - A mixture of heated beer or wine curdled with milk, eggs, and spices.
20. Puff - A drink made of equal parts milk and liquor, then topped with club soda and ice.
21. Shooter - A shot of whiskey or other kind of spirit.
22. Sling - A drink made with either brandy, whiskey or gin, with lemon juice, sugar and soda
water. It is served both hot and cold.
23. Smash - A short julep made of liquor, sugar, and mint, served in a small glass.
24. Sour - A short drink consisting of liquor, lemon/lime juice and sugar.
25. Supercall - Also known as top shelf or super premium. The high octane, often higher
proof alcohols, or super-aged or flavored versions.
26. Syllabub - A beverage made from a mixture of sweetened milk/cream, wine and spices.
27. Toddy - A sweetened drink of liquor and hot water, often with spices and served in a tall
28. Tot - A small amount of liquor.
29. Virgin - A non-alcoholic drink.
30. Well Drink - A liquor and mixer, of which neither are defined brands. (i.e. Gin and Tonic,
Rum and Coke)
Sunday 11am - 6pm
Monday - Saturday 9am - 10pm